Saturday, April 21, 2012

Just when you think you have it all figured out.

This is not the first time I've been induced. I knew what to expect, how long it should take and what I needed to do to help speed my recovery. I had it all figured out.
Morning of induction 39 weeks 4 days!

7:00am arrive at hospital
8:00am iv started antibiotics and other induction meds begin
1:30pm holding beautiful new baby boy in my arms

Well my plan was pretty much blown from the get go, but I had no idea how far off it would go.

8:30am antibiotics started
9:30am induction meds begin
1:30pm very little progress made and my doctor is held up at the other hospital. There goes my timeline!
4:30pm Doctor comes to break my water and so begins the whirl wind. This part of the story is a little lot hazy for me as I was on pain meds by now. Within 5 minutes several alarms started sounding, my nurse tried to readjust the monitors, but that didn't seem to be helping. More and more nurses started coming into the room I was given oxygen and my doctor was called back in. At some point after my water was broken baby boy put his hand on the top of his head and brought the umbilical cord down with him. After trying to re-position baby it was decided we needed a c-section. Since I don't do epidurals and there wasn't time to get one now, I was put under for the surgery. Last thing I remember is being told to breath deep.
4:47pm time listed on Blaise Alexander Madden's birth certificate paperwork.
8lbs. 8oz. 21 inches long
I don't remember a lot about the rest of the evening. I don't remember holding him for the first time, I don't remember being moved from one room to another. I remember bits and pieces and have watched video. Things continue to come to me, mostly ridiculous things I said. My husband did a fantastic job holding our little guy and documenting those hours I lost during recovery. Recovering from a c-section is much different than what I'm use to. I don't exactly sit still well. I am doing my best to follow all the "rules."
The crew coming to meet Blaise for the first time.
The next day the kids came to meet their little brother, I was in no condition to have the kids visit me the night before. We let them go to school late so we could have some time together. So few things warm my heart like watching the instant love the kids offer. They were so excited to get a turn to hold the baby, all had big smiles on their faces and rarely left the couch just so they could see him a little longer. Corbin is having a little trouble adjusting he fluctuates between being jealous to being extermely possessive of Blaise not allowing anyone else to hold him. The older kids love helping with him.
This is probably one of my favorite photos! I 
We already know like his big brothers, Blaise has hemophilia. Right now we don't do anything with it unless there is a big problem.  As to Corbin's news...his inhibitor levels went up this month instead of down so that is a little obstacle but we knew there would be some bumps in the road.

My boys. Kolbe 11 years, Corbin 20 months, Blaise 1 day!





1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the shot of Corbin & Blaise! He is surely a Madden baby!

    ReplyDelete